Saturday, November 12, 2011

Starting Over: New Lifestyle, New Journey, New Blog

I've never been much of a blogger, as evidenced by the fact that this is my first post in two and a half years. I just never thought that I really had anything to say, or that others would want to read. And I wasn't sure that I wanted to be vulnerable enough to share the things that may be helpful to others (and myself). So I've decided that I need to blog to help get my thoughts and feeling out of my head. With that said, I'm not going to do a lot of editing, or proofreading. I'm going to lay aside my fear of judgement, and just be honest with myself as I start this new journey. So if your one of the FIVE people that use to follow my blog two years ago...feel free to un-follow me if you think I'm being too honest or can't handle all the grammatical errors and typos. I won't be offended :)

I've been feeling tired, lethargic, and just blah over the last month or so. I started stopping by the Ingles pharmacy when I was grocery shopping to check my blood pressure. It was always in the 140's over 90's, which is high. Although I didn't really want to have a doctor tell me that I had high blood pressure because of my weight, I decided that I didn't want to die or get worse, so I better make an appointment. That appointment was at 3:00 on 11/2/11. I weighed 248 lbs and my doctor prescribed a blood pressure medication and asked me to come in the next day to have some blood drawn to test my cholesterol, kidney function, thyroid, and insulin levels. He also wanted to see me in one week. I got a call from the nurse that Friday saying that my thyroid, and kidney function looked good, but my cholesterol was high and my insulin levels were abnormal. I was upset. This could have all been prevented. I began eating better (lean meat, fruits, and veggies, low fat). I even attended a Weight Watchers meeting that next Monday (weighed in at 240). On November 9, 2011 I meet with Dr. Newton (after weighing in at 238) to go over my lab results. My fears were confirmed. I have Type 2 Diabetes. After this appointment, I am now taking 2 blood pressure pills, 1 diabetes pill, and 1 cholesterol pill. I'm the girl that will endure a headache because I hate taking medication! At the moment this is my motivation, to get off of all the medication!

Was I upset? yes. But, I'm choosing to look at this optimistically. I had NO desire to eat healthy or exercise prior to 11/2/11. This is a wake up call for me. I am currently motivated to not only change my eating habits, but to change my lifestyle. Part of the reason that I need to blog about my journey is because I don't want to loose weight and get off of my medication only to revert to old habits and be back where I am. I'm hoping that by being real with myself (and whoever is reading this) I will learn from my mistakes and not return to this place.

No comments: